Thursday, July 3, 2008

It may be dark, but lights are portable!



I'm always amazed by what can be done with photography. There are many dimensions to explore that allow control of any given situation. And not only control, but the ability to change what the camera is seeing compared to what is actually seen on the set with our eyes. This is where taking a picture turns into a vision being created. But, not all vision involves setting up lights and controlling everything.

This is a main factor that stands between me and my wife's approach to shooting. She is energetic in capturing the way life is. She creates wonderful images that posses feeling without ever having to setup studio lights or planning a shoot. (I'm actually quite jealous of her simplicity!) Check out her recent tear from her Tanzania trip.

I, on the other hand, have a vision of creating images that involve setting up lighting and controlling everything in front of the lens. I think what is more important than choosing your approach is to discover what approach you naturally fall into. Like they say, "knowing is half the battle."


When it comes to creating a vision, there entails a monster list of things to think over. But, other times it's very simple and takes little to create. It all depends on how big your visions is and also how well you stick with the K.I.S.S. rule.

I recently ran across some really fun in-camera color work from joserra puelles flicker account. Check out this link for some interesting approaches to in-camera color. It's subject matter that is right up my alley! (aaand not so much my wife's :)

If you know your vision isn't being reached, I suggest starting by finding people who you see have vision. If you want to think visionary, follow those who already think that way. I have many artists floating in my head that have great vision and direction when shooting. In fact, I added to the right hand column ("artists links that interest me") a bunch of links of other artists work that I personally enjoy. I hope you find a gem for yourself there.

The above is another image of Maria. This is one of those images where if you were standing there, it didn't look anything like this. It was totally dark outside. This was shot using one AlienBee as the main light and an off camera flash for a hair light. Almost as simple as my wifes approach! A big thank you to Jeremy Sparling for allowing me to use his flash and also for manning it during this shot!